[OS X TeX] Hyphenation patterns in TeXShop

Michel Bovani michel.bovani at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jun 13 07:54:12 CEST 2002

Le 12/06/02 21:37, « Pieter Kuiper » <Pieter.Kuiper at msi.vxu.se> a écrit :

> Is there a pressing reason why TeXShop the hyphenation patterns of
> only a few languages?
> Does this take significants amount of memory?
>
> I am asking because I am trying to have it include swedish. And I am
> in a mess because I also installed teTeX using fink. TeXShop and
> fmtutil looks at a different language.dat than the command "sudo
> texconfig hyphen pdflatex".

I know nothing about fink tetex... but tetex is tetex, I hope...

Here is what I should try

1 - enter Terminal and type

 kpsewhich language.dat

this should give you the location of the active language.dat

2 - open this file in a text editor.
add this line (a carriage return must follow if it is the last line)

swedish         svhyph.tex

and save the file.

3 - come back to terminal and

sudo fmtutil --all

> TeXShop is supposed to make things easy for people like me that are
> inexperienced with Unix. But including another hyphenation pattern is
> a tremendous hassle. With all the memory in typical OS X machines -
> would it not be better to have users take out superfluous languages?
> Or to offer a choice in the installer like for the A4/Letter paper
> size? Or to use the TeXShop editor for changing language.dat, so that
> one can be sure they are looking at the same file?
>
> Oh yes, any hints on how to solve my problem? Can I just delete parts
> of the /sw directory?
> --
> Pieter Kuiper               http://www.masda.vxu.se/~pku/

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.