[OS X TeX] Styles or macros for preparing posters, and how to use TeXShop for this

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Wed Jun 12 15:57:57 CEST 2002

ccr-mactex at creutzig.de wrote:
> Ross Moore <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> writes:
>
>>Another is to prepare your material at a smaller size, then scale it up
>>upon printing, or importing into another document/application.
>
>>The advantage in doing it this way lies in setting-up consistent
>>font sizes, especially for super/subscripts and mathematics.
>
>  The disadvantage is that you are not using, say, a 72pt-Font, but a
> scaled-up 18pt one.  Unfortunately(!!) this doesn't make any
> difference with most Postscript fonts you get these days, but with
> fonts of high technical quality such as Adobe Minion, it does.
> Whether a 72pt font matches your intended use better or worse than a
> scaled 18pt one, I can't decide -- but keep in mind that they are
> different beasts!

For those who helped me during that hectic weekend: I finally went the
all-MS route, using PowerPoint and the integrated Equation Editor, as I
did not manage to import properly any equation in Illustrator.

Still, doing this I had a few surprises upon printing (transferring the
.ppt file on a ZIP cartridge and printing from a PC running Windows
2000): all graphics were turned into bitmaps, though they had been
imported into Illustrator as EPS files, and some mathematical symbols
were changed to random characters. Thus I went back to the manual cut
and paste technique from ten years back!

I suspect this is what happens when you are stuck with old software
versions (Office 98 here).

BTW (since modern versions of MathType, of which Equation Editor is a
reduced version, use MathML, says the LaTeX Web Companion), I think the
question of MathML support in Mozilla was raised on this list a few
weeks ago. A MathML editor seems to be available for Mozilla 1.0, see
www.mozilla.org/start/1.0 then Add-ons then MathML Editor/Home. And as
for Mozilla 1.1alpha which I'm using right now, it uses Quartz
rendering, which makes it quite nice to look at.

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.