[OS X TeX] damn... how to surpress chapter titles?

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Mon Jul 1 16:31:47 CEST 2002

Le lundi 1 juillet 2002, à 03:10 , mahakk a écrit :

> i'm using the class "report", and when i use
>
>     \chapter{How it all started}
>     \chapter{How it ended}
>
> i get
>
>     Chapter 1
>     How it all started
>
>     Chapter 2
>     How it ended
>
> but i want it to be
>
>     1 How it all started
>     2 How it ended
>
> plus, i want only the chapters' titles to appear in the table of
> contents,
> not the "chapter"-prefix.

It's not really Mac OS X-specific stuff. I don't know about the FAQs,
but generally when you want to fine-tune the output of LaTeX you need to:

- first look at the LaTeX Companion (fairly outdated); and, if your
question isn't answered there,

- look at how the output of LaTeX is created in the various files
defining the LaTeX format.

These files are in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/. For the
"report" document class, the chapter head is created by the control
sequences \@makechapterhead (for \chapter{stuff}) and \@makeschapterhead
(for \chapter*{stuff}), defined in report.cls. To suppress "Chapter "
you have to copy the definition of these sequences, paste them in the
preamble of you document, enclose them between \makeatletter and
\makeatother, and rewrite the lines:

     \ifnum \c at secnumdepth >\m at ne
         \huge\bfseries \@chapapp\space \thechapter
         \par\nobreak
         \vskip 20\p@
     \fi
     \interlinepenalty\@M
     \Huge \bfseries #1\par\nobreak

(inferring that \@chapapp creates the word "Chapter", \thechapter the
chapter number, \par the line break and #1 the chapter title).

Similarly for changing the table-of-contents entry you need to
redefine \@chapter and \@schapter (which define what information goes
into the table of contents) and \l at chapter (which defines how each entry
of the table is formatted).

For example last week I was writing a report using the "report" class,
and here's the chapter-related stuff that went into the preamble
(assuming the package "ifthen" was loaded before):

\makeatletter
\renewcommand{\@makechapterhead}[1]
   {{\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}\raggedright
     \normalfont\interlinepenalty=10000\LARGE\bfseries
     \ifthenelse{\value{secnumdepth}>-1}{\thechapter. }{}%
     #1\par\nobreak
     \vspace{17pt}}}
\renewcommand{\@makeschapterhead}[1]
     #1\par\nobreak
     \vspace{17pt}}}
\renewcommand{\thechapter}{\Roman{chapter}}
\renewcommand*{\l at chapter}[2]
   {\ifthenelse{\value{tocdepth}>-1}
      {\addpenalty{-\@highpenalty}
       \vspace{1.0em plus 1pt}
       \setlength{\@tempdima}{1.8em}
       \begingroup
         \setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
         \setlength{\rightskip}{\@pnumwidth}
         \setlength{\parfillskip}{-\@pnumwidth}
         \addtolength{\leftskip}{\@tempdima}
         \leavevmode\bfseries\hspace{-\leftskip}%
         #1\nobreak\hfil\nobreak\makebox[\@pnumwidth][r]{#2}\par
         \penalty\@highpenalty
       \endgroup}
      {}}