[OS X TeX] Ghostscript 7.05

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Jul 3 10:34:31 CEST 2002

Hi Tom.

> Ross Moore wrote:
>

> >Now the real reason for wanting this is to add preview resources
> >to .eps files, for use with Classic applications.
> >Previously we used to do this using ResEdit or Resourcerer,
> >and set the resource ID appropriately.
> >Surely with the new tools there is a better way; but what is it ?
> >

> Both MacGhostViewX and MacGhostView 2.5.7 can add a PICT resource to an
> eps file. The former is OS X only and requires a unix ghostscript
> installation while the latter is self-contained and runs on OS 8.6 - 9.x
> and natively on OS X.

Thanks for this.
I've tried using MacGhostViewX now, with mixed success.
I'm a bit at sea as to what files are actually being used.

The MacGhostView archive unpacked, with a copy of MacGhostViewX
and works fine.

Adding the PICT preview appears to work well.

But I cannot tell which binary is being used, since the
   MacGhostView_OSX >Preferences...  menu item is grayed-out.
I'm guessing that it uses the  MacGhostView  that came in the same
archive  --- this is  AFPL version 7.0 .

I've tried switching search paths to the folder  /sw/share/ghostscript
that was installed by fink, and is at version 7.02,
but I get no feedback as to whether this has been successful.
Besides, surely that just tells which fonts and library files to use,
and does nothing about setting the binary (which is  /sw/bin/gs ).

As for...

> >GraphicConverter V4.0 (Carbon v4.1) claims to be able to
> >handle .eps graphics. However, to do this it needs to be told
> >where to find `Ghostscript'.
> >(drag a .eps file to GraphicConverter in the dock,
> > or go to the Preferences for EPSF)

The link to to MacGhostViewX  from  GraphicConverter doesn't work properly.
On trying to open an .eps file, it certainly launches  MacGhostViewX .
But the file itself doesn't open; instead producing an  " error -600 "
message. (Of course, I can open the .eps just fine from  MGVX's
menus, or by dragging to the icon in the dock.)

Another problem with GraphicConverter is with the "Open PICT from Resource"
option. When used on one of my .eps test files (to which I added a preview
using  MacGhostViewX) the PICT which it opens is a small low-res image,
not the full-sized preview.

It would be really nice to have these applications working together smoothly.

All the best,

	Ross

> --Tom

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.