[OS X TeX] using garamond?

Adrian Heathcote adrian.heathcote at philosophy.usyd.edu.au
Sat Jul 6 04:47:17 CEST 2002

I think Bruno is right. At present the only unicode TeX project is Omega
and it seems to have stalled.

Open Type is a good three years away from being usable with Latex. Not
only is it not clear how a reencoding to 8r would go---there are no
tools that will accomplish this---we do not even have access to the font
metrics, which a buried away in the font package. We have nothing that
will constuct the virtual fonts TeX needs and therefore no way of
getting started.

Until the heavyweights reconvene at Cork for this purpose, there will be
no way to use Open Type.

But maybe Bruno is right that Open Type may be the spur that will get
the Omega project back on the tracks.

> Then, if ATSUI fonts are indeed Unicode-encoded fonts, support for them
> in TeX means using Omega (omega.cse.unsw.edu.au:8080), I think. Though
> I have long been planning to try Omega someday, the absence of a GUI
> for it prevented me to do so; and also the feeling that Omega is dying
> a peaceful death and won't be brought back to life.
>
> I hope I'm wrong and Omega is still alive - cos' Unicode based-TeX is a
> great idea - once Unicode gets stabilized. And there, I think, lies the
> future of TeX.

Still good news about Adobe being generous in allowing postscript to
still be sold!

Adrian Heathcote

BTW did anyone else notice that all mail servers in the US were unable
to receive mail for the last 24 hours?

"help" (no quotes) in the body.