[OS X TeX] Graphics paths in dvips in TeXShop

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Jul 22 19:19:12 CEST 2002

Hello David,

> I am running TexShop in OS X:
>
> TeX+Ghoscript mode with illustrations as eps set with BoxedEPSF
>
> teTek executes its portion of the typesetting mode without error correctly
> finding the illustrations in the path specified in the SetEPSFDirectory
> command in BoxedEPSF
>
> After teTex is finished, dvips runs and I get the following Unknown keyword
> error message:
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/dvips: Unknown keyword
> (/Users/dao/Documents/DAO/StarryNight/StarryNight.I/Illustrations.screen/7-M
> inkowskiPlane.eps) in \special will be ignored

This sounds like either it is a very old version of the epsfig package,
or it has not been configured for dvips .
Does the package documentation talk about how to specify different drivers ?

On the other hand, epsfig is outdated now.
It is *much* better to use  graphicx  instead, with its \includegraphics  command.
It's a little tedious to change all the figures to this syntax, but that is
a job well worth doing, as it will provide compatibility across platforms
and across different means of processing your LaTeX source (e.g. with pdfLaTeX
as well as with dvips+gs if you have .pdf or .jpg or .png versions of your graphics).

> (as a secondary issue, the \scaled macro in Boxed EPSF seems to be equally
> unrecognizable by dvips.)

Both will call the same internal routines, so meet the same driver incompatibility
(if that is what the problem is).

> Can someone explain why dvips doesn't recognize the path info, or better

It's not the path that is the problem.
There is a missing keyword that should have been read before the path.
The message indicates that the path is being read as the keyword, rather
than being data to be handled after the keyword has selected the mode for
interpreting what follows.

> yet, tell a Unix non-expert how to respond to this error message and get the
> graphics files recognized by dvips?

The above advice should help you to decide how to proceed.

> Thanks,

 Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> David Oliver