[OS X TeX] Plain TeX and OS X [slightly OT]

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Sun Jul 28 19:17:37 CEST 2002

Le samedi 27 juillet 2002, à 08:58 , Siep a écrit :

> Don't forget the role of LaTeX as a file format for structured
> documents.
> This is what makes it an option for scientific publishers. But if you
> want
> to use it for precise layout it is a PITA.

Yes, I agree, my reason for switching initially from plain TeX to LaTeX
was the preparation of a paper for a journal which had an in-house LaTeX
style. Since then, as a co-organizer of a conference and later in my
scientific activity I had to manipulate LaTeX styles (now classes)
myself.

That being said:

- More and more of my colleagues are switching to MS Word and I must be
one of the very last in my lab still faithful to TeX/LaTeX. I was told
some journals are now proposing in-house Word styles (or templates, or
however it's called) as alternatives to LaTeX styles, so maybe the
necessity to use LaTeX for submitting papers electronically is also
gradually vanishing.

- I was told (but never verified, as I don't have it) that Adobe
InDesign achieves about the same typesetting performances as TeX/LaTeX,
and even that it uses the TeX engine (or some part of it, maybe for
hyphenation) internally. So again, this would make, if it's actually
true, TeX/LaTeX less indispensable (but still infinitely less expensive).

- With the rapid development of XML/HTML/MathML, Unicode, and PDF, I
feel right now a bit pessimistic about the future of TeX/LaTeX if it
doesn't adapt fast enough to these new formats.

FWIW

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.