[OS X TeX] BibTeX Can't Find Style that pdfTeX can

Michael Hanson mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Fri Jul 12 18:04:57 CEST 2002

	I have found that placing .bst files anywhere in
~/Library/texmf/bibtex/ (i.e. within an arbitrarily named subdirectory
of this path) allows them to be seen by BibTeX.  However, I notice that
at least two other list members suggest ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst/ for
.bst files.  Is there any documentation about the "proper" (or "best
practices") location of files in the texmf hierarchy?  I scoured CTAN
and a few LaTeX books (many months back) without success.  I must agree
with Gerben's comment at the beginning of README.howtexfindsfiles:
"TeX's way of finding files is quite rich and complicated and at certain
times counterintuitive."  This is certainly the case for those of us
switching from an OS 9 TeX environment (OzTeX in my case), that was much
less, well, particular about the location of files.  Is any practical
file organization overview available for those of us forced by OS X to
become our own sysadmins?  TIA!

Michael S. Hanson                    <http://mshanson.web.wesleyan.edu/>
Department of Economics                            mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Wesleyan University