[OS X TeX] BibTeX Can't Find Style that pdfTeX can

Jeff Collins vze22kt4 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 12 17:14:51 CEST 2002

Please forgive the specificity of my question. I'm using apacite and have
placed the folder containing the .sty and .bst files in the correct
directory (~/Library/texmf/tex/).

PdfTex has no trouble finding the package, as shown below:
>This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211 (Web2C 7.3.7x)
>(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
>Document Class: article 2001/04/21 v1.4e Standard LaTeX document class
>(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/size12.clo))
>(/Users/jeff/Library/texmf/tex/apacite/apacite.sty)

Yet when I run BibTeX, I get the following error:
>This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.3.7x)
>The top-level auxiliary file: prospectus2.aux
>I couldn't open style file apacite.bst

I can get BibTeX to work by placing apacite.bst in the folder containing
prospectus2.tex, but this seems like a kludge.

Is there something special I need to do to tell BibTeX where to look for
packages?  (I had assumed that if pdfTeX could find the files after a
'sudo texhash', then bibtex could find them too).

Thanks for any insight,
Jeff

"help" (no quotes) in the body.