[Mac OS X TeX] TeXShop 1.14

Ingo Reich ingo.reich at uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Jan 29 09:45:45 CET 2002

Am Dienstag den, 29. Januar 2002, um 04:11, schrieb Joachim Kock:

> Adrian wrote:
>
>>  > Great work to everyone involved!
>>
>> Seconded! What a terrific program this is! The need for an external
>> editor diminishes daily.
>
> Great!  TeXShop is growing up and is becoming an even nicer programme
> for
> the beginner or for the casual tex'cker.  The new panel is very pretty.
>
> However, there is a very long way before the need for an external
> editor is
> eliminated...
>
> ...  It would be great if the insertion point could be before the
> closing
> brace and that after you typed what you wanted the cursor would hop to
> after the brace, it would be nice if when you typed the programme would
> guess what you wanted!  and it would be nice if you could comment a line
> even if you are at its beginning --- there are so incredibly many
> things to
> think about: somebody has to get the idea, somebody has to implement it
> in
> C, others must point out shortcomings which then must be ironed out (by
> the
> developers: a new release)...  It's a long process.
>
> But all this has already been accomplished!  For many years emacs and
> alpha
> programmers have finetuned their latex modes: tons of features already
> exist and they are easy to modify and adjust since they live in lisp or
> tcl
> libraries everybody can read and write.  If you have never typed in
> alpha
> or emacs you can't imagine how powerful it is, and once you get used to
> it
> you can't imagine typing tex in any other editor.  (Interactive
> templates,
> dots that automatically translate into \ldots, double click on a \ref
> and
> hop to its \label, type \cite{Kn and a mechanism looks it up in you
> bibtex
> file and expands, automatic indentation according to the tex syntax,
> typeset only the selection (or the clipboard), and so on --- not to
> mention
> plain editing actions with their keyboard shortcuts, like upcase word,
> join
> line, jump to next sentence, format region, etc...)
>
> It would be so cool if all this power could interact with the power of
> TeXShop.  The first point of contact could be if TeXShop could tex a
> file
> without opening it in its own editor.  (The command line version of tex
> can do that.)

Actually, this is already a feature of the beta version of TeXShop 2.0,
see
<http://www.u-bourgogne.fr/monge/j.laurens/TeXShop-beta>. Unfortunately,
it isn't yet possible to typeset the document from within your external
editor (say BBEdit), i.e., you first have to switch to the TeXShop
application (e.g. via an apple script that I mentioned in a previous
posting) and tex from within TeXShop -- at least I don't know how to do
it.

Ingo