[Mac OS X TeX] Re: The role of TeXShop

Jon Guyer jguyer at his.com
Thu Jan 17 19:58:15 CET 2002

At 4:20 PM +0100 1/17/02, Jerome Laurens wrote:

>You are right in a mathematical sense.
>But you are wrong in a human sense.
>TeXShop was designed essentially for beginners and had to be simple.
>Avoiding hidden actions make things more evident to beginners.

There is nothing inherently wrong (nor inherently prohibited by the
HIG) with hidden actions. The HIG (sensibly) stipulates that hidden
actions should not be the /only/ way to accomplish something, i.e.,
don't have a key binding for which there is no corresponding menu
item. That is not the same as saying that you can't have two sets of
bindings, both active, one for newbies and one for wizards. The care
you need to take is that these wizard-level, hidden actions don't
cause your app to do something unexpected for a newbie.

The space-bar-page-down thing that Joachim mentioned is an
interesting case in point. For years, I have been baffled, and mildly
aggravated that if I accidently hit the space bar in a locked Alpha
window, it jerks everything down a page. If I happen to be reading
near the end of the buffer, the whole window vanishes without
explanation. After Pete released the source to a few of us, I set out
to "fix" this "bug"; only to discover that Pete had done it
intentionally, à la unix' "more". I opted not to change it, because
I'm sure many have come to expect and depend on this behavior, but I
still think it's goofy, and it's certainly undocumented. I guess I'll
need to provide a switch so that I, at least, can turn it off.

You could try to ensure that wizard/hidden actions are unlikely for a
beginner to innocently make, but since your wizards want keystrokes
and actions which are expedient, this is probably bound to fail. You
could require users to "opt-in" for wizard bindings. You could try,
somehow, to ensure that hidden actions were in some way
self-explanatory when they are executed, whether intentionally or by
accident (Alpha's space-bar-makes-window-vanish decidedly does /not/
qualify).

--

   Jonathan E. Guyer
   <http://www.his.com/jguyer/>