[Mac OS X TeX] Dvi and postscript previewers

Thomas Neumann thneumann at mac.com
Sun Jan 6 22:37:28 CET 2002

Am Donnerstag den 3. Januar 2002, um 01:32, schrieb Tom Kiffe:

>> So, in general my questions are related to the possibility to use
>> cmactex as a real shell on top of general tetex distribution, without
>> creating anything ad-hoc.
>
> My installation does not require any changes to any files included with
> teTeX. You do not have to be root or even have Admin privileges to
> install
> this package. It will work even if you update teTeX. Using ~/bin and a
> ~/Library/texmf directories is the natural way of extending your system.
> The cmactex.script and macghostview.script files are only called by my
> programs, so your zsh is not affected if it is run by any other program.

First: Calling the teTeX binaries and using the more sophisticated
viewers, known from the CMacTeX tradition is the right way for CMacTeX
on OS X, I think. Many Thanks for this!

However, IMHO it would be better to have *three* texmf trees: the main
texmf tree as for the standard teTeX installation or any update of teTeX
in general, second: a system wide 'texmf local tree', containing all
system wide customizations, LaTeX packages and fonts not included in
teTeX etc. (in a directory /Library/texmf), and the 'private texmf tree'
for the users own packages, updated packages, fonts and so on (in
~/Library/texmf). So it would be nice to have the possibility to
configure three paths to these three texmf tree directories in the "set
search path" menu options of MacDviX and MacGhostViewX.

Thomas
--
  Thomas Neumann <neumann at theologie.uni-halle.de>

"help" (no quotes) in the body.