[Mac OS X TeX] BBEdit 6.5 & OzTeX 5.0b7

Ingo Reich ingo.reich at uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Jan 25 11:37:02 CET 2002

Am Donnerstag den, 24. Januar 2002, um 20:39, schrieb Michael Goldweber:

>> Hi,
>>
>> thanks, that did it! I don't know why, but it works. Unfortunately,
>> this didn't, at the same time, solve the problem with the OzTeX
>> plug-in (I hoped so). Any ideas? Is there something equivalent
>> available for Pepper?
>
> If by equivalent, you mean a way to invoke OzTeX from Pepper on the
> current file, there is.  I believe that it was posted to this list a
> while back.

Yes, with "equivalent" I basically meant "identical functionality".

> Put the following two lines in a file.  Call the file whatever you wish
> (e.g. OzTeX).  Place this file in the Extensions folder which is in the
> same directory as the Pepper application.  Relaunch Pepper. (The lines
> below make assumptions regarding the location of the OzTeX application;
> edit accordingly.
>
> ---------------
> #!/bin/tcsh
> open -a "/Applications/OzTeX/OzTeX" $PEPPER_CURRENT_FILE
> --------------
>
> Pepr is the code to use in the OzTeX local config file to specify
> Pepper as your editor.  (Same arcane rules apply - set it from OS 9 for
> the change to work.)

Thanks for your suggestion. Maybe I should indeed try Pepper, at least
till the plug-in is carbonized or Alpha X is released. As Tom Kiffe
suggested, I will try to contact Francois Ladouceur and ask him to
carbonize his plug-in. (This doesn't seem to be so easy, however, since
I get permanent fatal errors with his e-mail address
"francois.ladouceur at anu.edu.au".) If I get feedback, I'll report on this
on this list.

> To summarize:
> Pepper:
> 	Works well with OzTeX, has a nice TeX mode (via the accelerator),
> but does not play well with Excalibur (or any other spell checker).
> The above may also work for CMacTex, though I have not tried it.  (The
> above Pepper extension support does not work with Excalibur - I tried.)
>
> BBedit
> 	Works well with CMacTex, does not have a TeX mode (the glossary
> feature does not match Alpha's nor Pepper's support), but plays well
> with Excalibur.  No working plug-in support for OzTeX.
>
> Alpha
> 	Under OS 9: Works well with OzTeX, CMacTex, and Excalibur. Has a
> good TeX mode.  None of its variants work under OS X. (Hopefully
> AlphaTK will, as soon as the aquaTK package matures.)

It's a pity that there isn't one editor that (i) has a really nice tex
mode (like that in Alpha) AND (ii) supports excalibur, eudora etc. AND
(iii) integrates smoothly with OzTeX/ TeXShop/teTeX AND (iv) enables one
to re-open a changed pdf-file at the same page (like only (?)
MacGhostView_OSX does) within TeXShop, isn't it? I'm really looking
forward to the OSX version of Alpha!

> ---
> Non TeX question:  Does Eudora support the use of an external editor?
> (Alpha "supports" Eudora, which is a different perspective.)

Sorry, no idea.

Ingo

> mikeyg
>
> --
>

> Michael Goldweber			Associate Professor of Computer Science
> Xavier University			Dept. of Math and Computer Science
> email: mikeyg at cs.xu.edu		3800 Victory Parkway
> phone: (513) 745-3936        		Cincinnati OH 45207-4441
> fax: (513) 745-3272
> http://www.cs.xu.edu/~mikeyg/

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.