[Mac OS X TeX] Compatibility of Texshop-generated pdf files with acrobat

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Jan 21 00:34:50 CET 2002

> This is slightly off-topic, but I am having a very annoying problem with
> importing pdf files generated by TeXshop into Acrobat.
>
> A little background: In the past, I generated transparancies for a talk
> using a combination of TeXtures, IGOR and Vellum and directly printing the
> slides. Recently, I was invited to give a talk using either my usual
> transparancies or a computer, but was requested to send an electronic
> version of the talk for viewing by the organizers of the briefing. I
> decided to generate pdf files from my usual applications and assemble them
> using Acrobat 5.05 (OS X native).
>
> The problem is in the files generated using TeXshop (actually Preview). If
> I preview these and incorporate them into my multi-page Acrobat document,
> Acrobat often complains that there are "fonts with duplicate names in the
> font subset" (more or less  - this is from memory) and either refuses to
> import the pdf or does so with many characters left out or simply
> corrupted. On the other hand, the pdf file displays fine when displayed
> alone.
>
> The only way to get around this problem is to use TeXtures in Classic and
> generate a ps file using all of the available fonts (or all but the usual
> 13) - the latter file (after being sent to Distiller) imports fine into
> Acrobat.
>
> I would like to avoid using TeXtures (and Distiller) if this is possible.
> Perhaps I shouldn't assemble the pdf's using Acrobat (a very annoying app,
> in my opinion); but, if I continue using it, I would like to be able to use
> TeXshop to generate the TeX documents. I realize this is really a problem
> in Preview, but any insight would be very welcome.
>
> Thanks very much and sorry for the length of this post.

Warren,

A group of TeX `heavies' has just had meetings with Adobe, primarily
concerning Font problems.
Some of the previously known problems have been fixed, others remain.
The important result from these meetings is that Adobe will listen to
our reports of inadequacies in their software, for the needs of TeX users.

That is, they will act on our bug reports, with high priority.

What we need to do is to report bugs in as clear a way as is possible,
by providing examples of things that do not work, in a way that narrows
down the possibilities of where the fault may lie.

So can you please create a web-page that has links to example files
that may be downloaded for closer inspection and testing.

For example, include:

 a.  a succinct description of what is wrong, and what software was used
     to demonstrate the problems.
     e.g.
       Say what looks to be wrong, or prints incorrectly.
       If the problem appears with Acrobat 5.05 but not Acrobat 4,
       then say so.
       Give as much information as you know, as itemized facts.

 b.  a link to a PDF that gives you trouble;
     describe the problems, without speculating upon the cause.
     Also, say which software
   (e.g OS platform + version; TeXshop version; pdfTeX version, etc.)

 c.  provide a link to the TeX source that generated it.
     (include links to any images and non-standard packages)

 d.  provide the results of alternative methods of processing
    e.g.  TeX + dvips + Ghostscript
          TeX + dvips + distiller
          pdfTeX on another platform or OS
          whatever is available to you.

With the source available, others can test it on different platforms
so as to narrow down which versions need to be examined for the bugs.

During the next week oe two, we will be building a web-site for
reporting bugs to Adobe. This site will become also a bug-tracking site,
updating with information on when/if Adobe has done anything to fix
the problem and whether it has been sucessful.

When the site is ready for public viewing, this list will be notified.
In the meantime, please help us by providing the details requested above.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

(for the TFAA:  TeXFonts-AdobeApps working group)

> Warren Nagourney

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.