[Mac OS X TeX] How many TeX's for OSX are there now ?

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Sun Feb 10 01:02:18 CET 2002

On Saturday, February 9, 2002, at 05:04  AM, Michael Murray wrote:

> Every day seems to bring a new version of TeX for OS X so I was
> wondering how many there are:

Thanks a lot! A very useful compilation. It is definitely nice that we
have got the choice between so many *different* tools, because everybody
has got a different approach to working with TeX/LaTeX and different
expectations.

But while we are at it, I actually wonder what the deal with
TeXShop/iTeXMac is. What I mean is, their approach is actually pretty
similar. And people have pointed out that iTeXMac was considered the
TeXShop 2.0 beta. Now, I cannot (and do not want to) judge whether there
are software related or maybe personal problems which are in the way of
merging those two again.

 From the viewpoint of a (occasional) TeX user who has played with both of
them a little bit, I want to state the following: when I switched to MacOS
X, and first used TeXShop, I got really excited. For me this was really
what all that hype of the new operating system was about. Finally, there
were new tools, which were simple, and beautiful and a pleasure to use.
And if it had been iMacTeX, I think I would have thought the same. They
both have some features I like (and still have both some problems that
need to be ironed out). To cut a long story short: I would actually like
to see a "Super-TeX-Tool" (for me, at least) which combines the somewhat
complementary features of both of them!

Regards
Holger

--
Dr. Holger Frauenrath
Department of Materials and Life Sciences

Phone: (847) 491-5950
Fax: (847) 491-3010
Email: mail at frauenrath.com
Web: www.frauenrath.com