[Mac OS X TeX] dvips + type 1 fonts presentations

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Wed Feb 6 23:45:13 CET 2002

On Wednesday, February 6, 2002, at 10:17 , Ross Moore wrote:

> For pdftex, the .map files should be different to those
> of dvips, with pdftex always finding the .pfb fonts.

I think that on Mac OS X this might not be logical. Even when you use
tex+dvips (e.g. altpdftex), you still want to produce PDF. Why should
PDF from one route differ from the other?

> then there is a mistake inside the  texmf.cnf  file.)

They are and this is by design (Thomas Esser's design). There are pro's
and cons to this design. See other mails.

However, you can make different setups easily enough by not creating
different map files with updmap, but by editing your texmf.local copies
of dvips/config.ps and pdftex/pdftex.cfg.

I would suggest that you leave updmap alone and edit these. You can add
all the pfb mappings you like to pdftex.cfg.

> For dvips, it is not hard to include  -Ppdf  in the menu-item
> (or whatever other technique is used by TeXShop)
> which invokes a dvips run; so there is no point in changing
> teTeX's default configuration file to do this.

As I said before, -Ppdf has its problems. As soon as there is no pfb
file it will make pdfTeX try to create a 8000dpi font and metafont will
choke, or it did the last time I tried.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.