[Mac OS X TeX] New TeXLive-teTeX release (minor changes)

Benji Fisher benji at e-math.AMS.org
Sun Feb 10 21:57:05 CET 2002

"Gary L. Gray" wrote:

> On 2/10/02 3:11 PM, "Gerben Wierda" <sherlock at rna.nl> wrote:
>
> > People who maintain links to my distribution (e.g. frontend developers)
> > should link to one of the following:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/TeX.dmg (is whatever I am using,
> > one of the following:)
> > ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/TeXLive-teTeX.dmg (TeXLive
> > programs, teTeX texmf tree)
> > ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/teTeX-teTeX.dmg (teTeX programs,
> > teTeX texmf tree)
> >
> > where TeX.dmg is the preferred link.
>
> Gerben (or anyone else who can help),
>
> Maybe this is a good time ask the following question: what exactly is the
> difference between "TeXLive programs, teTeX texmf tree" and "teTeX programs,
> teTeX texmf tree"? My current installation is your previous TeXLive
> distribution and before that I was using one of the early December releases
> of your teTeX distribution. I saw no noticeable difference between these in
> my day-to-day use. Do you have any recommendations as to the distribution
> different types of users should be using? Should I always be using TeXLive
> because it is "the future"?
>
> Thank you again for your amazing efforts.
>
> All the best,
> --
> Gary L. Gray

     The difference between TeXLive and teTeX is that the former comes from
the TeX Live CD put out by the TeX Users' Group (TUG) and the latter is the
distribution put together by Thomas Esser (hence the "te" part).  TeXLive is
more up to date and complete, and teTeX is more stable and has been tested to
avoid conflicts between the different components.  I cannot give any more
detail than that.

     The recommendation is easy:  use TeX.dmg unless you know and care about
the difference between TeXLive and teTeX.  This is a link to Gerben Wierda's
suggestion for most users, and it is the one he is currently using.

HTH					--Benji Fisher

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.