[Mac OS X TeX] The new TeX package

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Wed Feb 13 13:27:09 CET 2002

GW> On Tuesday, February 12, 2002, at 10:04 , Piet van Oostrum wrote:
>> I would also like to make a plea for the inclusion of the CM-Super font
>> set. It contains (amongst others) Type 1 fonts for the EC and TC fonts,
>> which are highle needed in MacOSX where PDF is the preferred output
>> format.
>> At least in most european languages. It also contains Type 1 fonts for
>> Cyrillic.
>>
>> If it is not decided to put this in the main TeXlive distribution it could
>> go in the macosx tree.
>>
>> I am prepared to try this out first on my own computer.

GW> Just tell me where to get it and I'll have a look at it.

It is on CTAN in fonts/ps-type1/cm-super.
The only difficulty is to get all the map files updated (this can be done
by adapting the updmap script.
The combination with dvipdfm needs some special attention; I am currently
investigating it. The reason is that the dvipdfm configuration is not
updated by updmap. I think it would be useful if updmap also does update
the dvipdfm configuration if it is present. I am now trying to find out
what should go in it as it should contain all the Type1 fonts that are
installed in teTeX.

I noticed while doing this, trhat if you run updmap as it is default, it
generates slightly different map files than the ones that are installed. I
am surprised by this as the map files (e.g. pdftex.map psfonts.map) start
with a comment that says they were generated by updmap.
Is there a reason they disagree?
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum at hccnet.nl