[Mac OS X TeX] dvips + type 1 fonts presentations

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Feb 6 22:17:59 CET 2002

> Claus Gerhardt wrote:
> >
> > I successfully changed the default settings of dvips to
> > type1_default=true with the help of the script updmap but I assume
> > that these settings will be changed again to type1_default=false by
> > the next tetex update.
>
> Yes. I have been fixing updmap after every installation or update of
> teTeX on Solaris, Linux and now MacOSX for years.
>
> > Maybe, Gerben can change the updmap script accordingly or provide the
> > use of a different updmap as  an option in the tetex installation.
>
> Last time I suggested this, I got some hostile answers. Maybe you have
> more luck.

Hi Martin, and Claus

I may have been one of those that spoke against this, last time.
I'm sorry if you took that as being hostile.

My position is that the change should *not* be made in teTeX itself...

 ... but for someone distributing a (perhaps modified) copy of teTeX for
a specific platform or TeX installation, then it's perfectly OK
to distribute modified configuration files that enable the specific
system to run better.

Such config files should either be placed in a location which will be
searched before the defaults, or be named differently and linked
to the default config names (with the originals also supplied,
but renamed in an obvious way).

TeXShop clearly falls into this latter category.

For pdftex, the .map files should be different to those
of dvips, with pdftex always finding the .pfb fonts.

(If both pdftex and dvips are searching the same .map files,
then there is a mistake inside the  texmf.cnf  file.)

For dvips, it is not hard to include  -Ppdf  in the menu-item
(or whatever other technique is used by TeXShop)
which invokes a dvips run; so there is no point in changing
teTeX's default configuration file to do this.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> --
> Martin

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.