[Mac OS X TeX] Trying to get something Alpha-ish in Mac OS X

Benji Fisher fisherbb at bc.edu
Tue Feb 19 16:20:57 CET 2002

On Monday, February 18, 2002, at 04:52 PM, Mark Guzdial wrote:

> I'm new to all things Emacs and fink-ish, but I'm trying to learn Emacs
> for my LaTeX work since Alpha still isn't carbonized.  I miss the
> wonderful LaTeX menu in Alpha, so I've been trying to find something
> similar.  (Yes, TeXshop's LaTeX panel is lovely, but I'm missing having
> a more powerful editor than TeXshop, e.g., turning " into '', handling
> indentation levels right, etc.)
>
> - My UNIX-using friends say that XEmacs (I've been playing with
> carbonized Emacs 21) has that kind of support.  I decide to try fink to
> get XEmacs.  "fink install xemacs" I say.  After several prompts to
> make dependency choices that I don't completely grok, I go through a
> long list of never being able to download xemacs-base-1.56-pkg.tar.gz
> from a bunch of different mirrors.
>
> - "Lyx" says another UNIX-using friend.  That's the way to get that
> kind of support.  So I try "fink install lyx".  After another bunch of
> dependency selections that I don't grok, I get to trying to download
> xdvi-22.48.tar.gz from ftp://ftp.math.berkeley.edu/pub/Software/TeX/
> ...which never works. I go to the forementioned FTP site and find that
> versions 49, 50, and 51 are out there, but 48 is now long dead and
> gone.  How do I convince fink of that?  I tried doing the sudo dselect
> mantra described at http://fink.sourceforge.net, and while that gave me
> a bunch of crypto options, it didn't make xdvi any easier to load.
>
> Is there some magic to fink that I'm not understanding?
>
> What editors are others of you using in Mac OS X?  Anything you
> particularly recommend as being as helpful as Alpha?
>
> Can anyone suggest some nice emacs packages for LaTeX work?  I've found
> and downloaded auctex and reftex, but don't quite understand the
> installation instructions yet.
>
> Thanks!
>  Mark

      Have you tried

% fink selfupdate

yet?  I am not sure if this will help, but it might; it seems that your
problem (or at least part of it) is that your version of fink is trying
to download old versions of some packages.

      I think that auctex is the standard LaTeX package for emacs.

      I use Vim (Vi IMproved).  I also maintain binaries for the Carbon
version of Vim on my iDisk,
http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/index.html
You can also get my tex plugin there, which allows you to run tex from
the editor, and automatically turns " into `` or ''.  Vim has syntax
coloring for TeX and various options for automatic indenting.  If you do
not like using different modes (which I do) then you can run Vim in
Insert mode and do most fancy things from menus.

HTH					--Benji Fisher

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.