[OS X TeX] alphatk...

Rick Zaccone zaccone at bucknell.edu
Sat Aug 3 01:40:10 CEST 2002

>I don't believe any version of Alpha has ever had spell check _while_ you
>type.  If we could interoperate with a spell-checker through apple-events,
>(i.e. send the spell-checker a block of text in the background, and it
>returns the words it doesn't recognise) it would actually be quite easy to
>add this functionality, however.
>
>Anyone know if such a spell-checker exists, especially one which is LaTeX
>aware?  I don't believe one can make excalibur work in this way...

Excalibur supports the Word Services events "check word" and "guess
word".  The check word event allows you to check if a single word is
correct, and guess word allows you to get suggestions for a misspelled
word.  This is not too useful for LaTeX documents because Excalibur
needs some context to parse LaTeX properly.  It would work for plain
text though.

I am in the process of making Excalibur a Cocoa application.  I plan
to drop support for Word Services and make Excalibur a "service".  I
hope that makes some of these issues go away.

I have no idea how long the conversion will take, but it will almost
certainly be longer than my best estimate!

Rick

"help" (no quotes) in the body.