[OS X TeX] Esstix (was: ANNOUNCE mbtimes font package)

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Apr 2 13:25:20 CEST 2002

> Le lundi 1 avril 2002, à 06:06 PM, Michel Bovani a écrit :
>

> Another issue is to create .tfm files. esstix.zip containing .afm files,
> isn't it possible to convert them to .tfm format using afm2tfm (in
> /Library/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin5.3/afm2tfm) or fontinst? But
> then, of course, one would need to write LaTeX font driver .fd files and
> create control sequences to access each character in the 17 fonts (like,
> for example, phonetic alphabets) individually.
>
> But, after all, maybe that's what Elsevier is planning to do anyway? My
> original posting was more a request for information, in case anybody had
> heard of plans from Elsevier or a LaTeX guru.

It's not just Elsevier.
These  esstix  fonts are a product of the  STIX project:

 http://www.ams.org/STIX/

The American Math Society (AMS) and publishers other than Elsevier
have been involved as well, as have members of the TeX community.

It's similar to Microsoft and Netscape being heavily involved in the
initiatives resulting in HTML and XML specifications; but the project
itself is much wider and integrates with W3C and Unicode initiatives;
see e.g.

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-MathML2-19991222/chapter6.html#N33276

The main thrust of this work is that the typefaces used for mathematics
are evolving, so as to become easier and consistent across all platforms.

TeX should remain special, due to its superior algorithms for line-
and page-breaking. However the TeX "look" due to Computer Modern fonts
should become a thing of the past.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> Bruno Voisin