[Mac OS X TeX] Type 1 PS Fonts, TeXShop/teTeX, and OS X...

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Wed Sep 5 09:29:03 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>Dave,

> So, my follow-up question (mostly for my mind's sake) is this: Assuming
> the existence of a "full" set of MathTimes fonts (base and "Plus"
> fonts), and once the fonts are converted into pfa/pfb format and
> installed correctly, should the standard "mathtime.sty" work properly
> in LaTeX?

I cannot say really, having not tried, but I think so. Otherwise, I just
did what I was saying for the basic set:

- Download the original mathtime directory from CTAN (it appears to
reside now in tex-
archive/macros/latex/contrib/supported/psnfssx/mathtime).

- Uncomment the line

%\def\mtplus{}

in mathtime.ins.

- Rename this file mathtime.tex so TeXShop accepts to LaTeX it.

- Take the resulting .fd and .sty files, create a directory
~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/mathtime (or
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/mathtime if you want other
users of your Mac to be able to use MathTime), move them there.

- Launch Terminal, then sudo tcsh, then texhash.

Seems to work!

In any case, coming back to Y&Y and assuming you use TeXShop, I don't
think you need to worry about ordering the fonts in Mac format, since
only .pfb files are required, and (I think) this is the standard UNIX
font format. This would also avoid your having to fight with floppies,
since recent Macs don't even have a floppy disk reader (a big
inconvenience for us long-time Mac users having collections of files
saved on floppies).

Good luck!

Bruno

"help" (no quotes) in the body.