[Mac OS X TeX] Excel Diagrams

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Sep 6 07:57:18 CEST 2001

> I've got a lot of diagrams created in Excel that I've used in various
> Word documents in the past with very good resolution. Copy and paste
> into word retains the line drawing and the exported PDF is nice and
> sharp. I was trying to get the same graphics into a TeX document and was
> having all kinds of trouble. Basically they ended up as bitmaps
> regardless of what I tried. Does anyone have any suggestions (Excel 98).

If you can get a PDF of the diagrams, then you are home.
Use LaTeX's  \includegraphics  command, from  \usepackage{graphicx}.
(Note that is  graphicx ,  not  graphics .)
                      ^                ^

pdfTeX supports a  page=<num>  option, which allows you to grab just
the contents of a particular page in a PDF document.

Also there is a  viewport="...."  option, which lets you specify
a rectangle on the page.
However, you also need the  'clip' option to crop to just that size.

So you could be using a command such as:

 \includegraphics[
     scale=.5
   , page=12
   , viewport = 245 410 410 520
   , clip
   ]{mycharts}

to extract from a PDF file named   mycharts.pdf .

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> Fredrik

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.