[Mac OS X TeX] Re: [0ff-topic] Matlab and Mac OS X

Arun Mangalam arun_mangalam at mac.com
Mon Oct 1 21:34:16 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>Wow! That's pretty insightful information on the Mathworks situation. i
guess I won't wait anymore.

However, there are two open-source alternatives that apparently compile
on the Mac: Octave and SciLab. Here's a URL to the MacOSX compilations:

http://homepage.mac.com/persquare/

I think SciLab even has a new MultiFractal and Wavelet toolbox added.
Anyway, both Octave and SciLab read in MatLab files, I believe. I think
it would be nice if more people started to use one the packages, and
start to contribute in a beautiful open-source native OSX scientific
package. I guess those are my dreams .. :)

Otherwise, there is, of course, OSX native Mathematica for
symbolic/signal processing capabilities, and LabVIEW should be releasing
an OSX version in the near future as they are in the internal beta test
stage [they have a PID toolbox].

I just find that mathworks loses millions to these other companies.

- Arun