[Mac OS X TeX] atchange

Cian Dorr cian.dorr at nyu.edu
Wed Oct 10 16:53:58 CEST 2001

<x-flowed ISO-8859-1>I took Phillippe  Lelédy's suggestion and downloaded the perl script
atchange.  I ran it like this

atchange mydoc.pdf open mydoc.pdf

hoping that that would make Acrobat Reader show all changes to the file
mydoc.pdf.   Unfortunately, this doesn't work: it turns out that if
Acrobat already has mydoc.pdf open, doing another 'open' won't make it
reload the latest version of mydoc.pdf; it just keeps displaying the
out-of-date version it has in memory.

Does anyone have a way to work around this?  One thing I thought of was
opening mydoc.pdf in a web browser with the PDF plugin and somehow
getting atchange to tell the web browser to "refresh"; but then I
remembered that there is no PDF plugin for OS X---one of the biggest
annoyances for me; my desktop keeps filling up with downloaded pdfs.
(Or am I wrong about this?  Have other people been able to view PDF's
with their browsers?)

Cian Dorr

On Monday, October 8, 2001, at 08:00  PM, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List
wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, V. Vatsal wrote:
>
>> Philippe,
>>
>> Is this script available some place? I'd like to try it.
>>
>> <phl at leledy.org> wrote:

>>> I wrote a simple script, after reading xdvi sources: to have
>>> autorefresh
>>> feature, scan every second the timestamp of the file, and if it has
>>> changed, issue
>>> open -a <app's name> <file-name>
>>>
>>> preview.app isn't clever enough for remenbering scale factor, but
>>> TeXShop
>>> is.
>>>

> My own litlle script is no more necessary since I discovered, thanks to
> this list, a perl script called "atchange" which do exactly who its name
> means, trigger a command each time a file's time stamp is changed.
>
> Salutations.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.