[Mac OS X TeX] Using Margin kerning

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Oct 29 10:44:50 CET 2001

> Folks,
>
> Margin kerning is a subtle change; you must look closely to notice
> that it is being used.
>
> Margin kerning is in Gerben Wierda's latest teTeX. But to use it,
> you still have to do a few things to your source code:
>
> 	a) Use pdflatex. Margin kerning doesn't work in tex + ghostscript
>
> 	b) add the line
>
> 		\input protcode.tex
>
> 	to the preamble of the document
>
> 	c) After \begin{document}, add the lines
>
> 		\setprotcode \font
> 		{\it \setprotcode \font}
> 		{\bf \setprotcode \font}
> 		{\it \bf \setprotcode \font}
> 		\pdfprotrudechars=1

Thanks for this Richard.
I just got the necessary files from CTAN and installed by hand.
It all seems to work (thanks to Han The Thanh) ...

> To see if margin kerning is working, comment out the last line. This will
> turn it off. Typeset again and look at the ends of lines VERY CAREFULLY,
> particularly those lines which end with a period or hyphen.

... but the effect is not subtle at all.
Have a look at 2 versions of my paper:

  http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/TUG/TUG2001/rossI.pdf
  http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/TUG/TUG2001/rossImk1.pdf

Clearly the kerning parameters in  rossImk1.pdf  are set too large.
Yet this was the result using  protcode.tex  from CTAN.
It contains an error in the TeX coding, to determine whether or not
to set  \needadjustprotcodetrue .
(The numerical tests on the version number are done in the wrong order;
thereby leading to the wrong boolean result with the most recent
versions of  pdfTeX.)

So if you don't get such exaggerated effects, then from where did you
get the file:  protcode.tex   It may be a more recent, fixed version.

> Margin kerning will preserve line breaks. If you change the last line
> to \pdfprotrudechars=2, then pdflatex will do a better job, but may

This is the same paper, with  \pdfprotrudechars=2

  http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/TUG/TUG2001/rossImk2.pdf

Can you spot any different line-breaks ?

Cheers,

	Ross

> change
> the location of line breaks.
>
> Dick Koch
> koch at math.uoregon.edu

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.