[Mac OS X TeX] T1 font encoding question

Michel Bovani michel.bovani at wanadoo.fr
Mon Nov 19 23:41:01 CET 2001

<x-flowed iso-8859-1>Le 19/11/01 à 17:21 -0500 Gary L. Gray a écrit :
>We recently tried typesetting a file that had a package that
>appeared to require the t1enc package through:
>
>\RequirePackage{t1enc}

t1enc package calls ec fonts (cork-8bits-T1 encoding) instead of cmr
original fonts (the same design but with 256 chars for european
languages).

BTW it is best to call \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

>This did not typeset on my teTeX setup, instead giving me:
>
>(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/t1enc.sty
>! Font T1/cmr/m/n/10.95=ecrm1095 at 10.95pt not loadable: Metric
>(TFM) file not
>  found.

Yes, unfortunately, t1 calls are resident in latex base, but tfm
files are not in tetex (afaik)...

><to be read again>
>                    relax
>l.52 \fontencoding{T1}\selectfont
>

>I then proceeded to comment out the above require package command in
>the style file and it typeset without trouble.
>
>What is the t1enc package?
>
>Why doesn't it work on my machine and should it?

You may try to suppress \usepackage{t1enc} (if language is english,
it sould work), or install all the 8bit font stuff : tfm, mf source
or type1 cm-super pack (73Mo !).

>--
>    Gary L. Gray
>    Associate Professor
>    Engineering Science & Mechanics
>    Penn State University
>    (814) 863-1778
>    http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/

>"help" (no quotes) in the body.
>This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
>messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.