[Mac OS X TeX] TeXShop Crashing the Window Server

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Sat Nov 3 02:56:18 CET 2001

<x-flowed>Folks,

Several users have reported examples of TeX files containing
illustrations which crash the window server under Mac OS 10.1.

Here is an example. A user created a file with Adobe Illustrator.
When Illustrator saved the file as a pdf, the resulting pdf displayed
fine in tex. But if Illustrator saved the file as a eps and the eps
was later converted to pdf by epstopdf, the resulting pdf crashed
TeXShop, and Preview, and Mail.

This problem is a bug in the system software NSPDFImageRep.
The bug is described on my web site and has been reported to Apple.

Over the next several days, I'd like to collect as many examples of
this sort of bug as possible. I'll forward these examples to Apple
systematically. If you have run into this bug, could you send me

	a) A short example, either a tex pdf file which contains an
	illustration, or just a pdf illustration, which crashes the
	system when viewed by TeXShop, Preview, etc.

	b) A description of exactly how the illustration was
	created.

Since examples of this sort crash the Mail program, please
send examples compressed as a tar.gz, or dmg or other form
which Mail will not try to preview.

Dick Koch
koch at math.uoregon.edu

"help" (no quotes) in the body.