[Mac OS X TeX] eps and pdftex

Keith Watling K.D.Watling at lboro.ac.uk
Wed May 9 01:34:28 CEST 2001

on 8/5/01 9:55 pm, Tom Kiffe at tom at kiffe.com wrote:

> There have been several posts today about including eps files in pdftex.
> Pdftex can include tiff, jpg and pdf images directly. If you have an eps file
> you must
> convert it to pdf using the epstopdf program. This program modifies the
> original eps file and then calls ps2pdf to generate a pdf file. Ps2pdf calls
> ghostscript, so you must have it installed on your computer. The epstopdf
> script will not handle eps files with the bounding box info at the end, like
> eps files from Mathematica.
>
> My epstopdf, combined with MacGhostview (which includes macps2pdf), handles
> all eps files, even those created with Mathematica.

Tom

A simple question: how do you make all the TeX Type1 Postscript fonts that
come with CMacTeX 3.7 under Mac OS 9 available to ps2pdf, and presumably
ghostscript as well? If I use Acrobat 4.0 under Mac OS 9, which is aware of
all the TeX Type 1 postscript fonts, as the ps2pdf processor, called by
epstopdf, it appears to make the bounding boxes of Illustrator EPS files a
little smaller than they should be, when converting to PDF? Also the only
way epstopdf appears to work is by dropping the .eps file on the
application, the menu and dialog box method appears to go through the
correct motions, but never actually calls whatever ps2pdf converter is
selected. Basically I just want to be able to correctly convert Illustrator
EPS files containing references or even embedded subsets of TeX Type 1
Postscript fonts into correctly structured PDF files having the correct
bounding box with the necessary subsets of TeX Type1 fonts embedded with the
correct encoding:-)

Thanks

Keith

> Tom Kiffe

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.