[Mac OS X TeX] Excalibur 4.0b1

Rick Zaccone zaccone at bucknell.edu
Wed Jun 27 16:42:14 CEST 2001

Excalibur 4.0b1 is now available to readers of this list.  I decided
to make it available here, because people that read this list are most
likely to use its new features.

I have tested this version a good bit with Mac OS 9.1 and Mac OS X and
I'm not aware of any bugs.  You will need at least Mac OS 8.6 to run
it.  I would appreciate it if someone with Mac OS 8.6 would verify
that it does work.

<http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~excalibr/Excalibur-4.0b1.sit>

There's no link to this file from the Excalibur home page since I'm
not ready to make it generally available yet.

Note that the version number has increased to 4.  Although I haven't
added any new features, it feels like a major release because I had to
change so many things to get it to work.  That's why I bumped up the
number to the left of the decimal point.

William Adams has volunteered to create new Excalibur icons (Thanks!)
and they are not included in this test version.  They will appear in
version 4.0.

Please let me know if you find any bugs.  You are welcome to send
feature requests too, but I'm not likely to implement any of them
soon.  I just spent more than a month working on this and I need to
move on to other things.

What's New:

- Carbonized

- Can't automatically open the clipboard yet.  This feature will
  return in a future release, if there's enough demand and after Apple
  has updated its manuals.  The options related to this are now dimmed
  in the Startup preferences panel.  This is to remind you that they
  aren't available.

- All program text now comes from a resource.  This makes it easier to
  localize.

- When running under MacOS X, there is a cosmetic problem in the Edit
  Commands dialog.  The items in the number of arguments column don't
  line up.  I will fix this when Apple provides a means for doing it.

- Larger fields for flagged words.

- No more balloon help.  Sorry, but Carbon doesn't allow it!

- The Help menu is gone.

Bugs Fixed:

- A word will be recognized as the same word regardless of how its
  accent is typed.  This applies to LaTeX users.

- Fixed a minor problem with translating a capital A with a grave
  accent into its TeX equivalent.

Rick Zaccone
zaccone at bucknell.edu

"help" (no quotes) in the body.