[Mac OS X TeX] Format generation

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Tue Jul 10 17:35:00 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>Does anybody know how to make other formats than plain TeX and LaTeX
available to TeXShop, so that you can just select the format name in the
scroll-down "Programme" menu (in the French localization) and click on
the button nearby to have a document composed (or use the "Composer"
menu)?

My problem is that for some time I must (publisher's choice!) use an old
format based on plain and called cupplain (CUP aka Cambridge University
Press). I suppose people willing to use AMS-TeX or eplain will
experience the same problem.

After a bit of experimentation I was able to create the format itself
(the .fmt file) by:

- modifying fmtutil.cnf (placing an updated version in
~/Library/texmf/web2c/) by adding the lines
cupplain		tex		-	cupplain.ini
pdfcupplain	pdftex	-	pdfcupplain.ini

- creating cupplain.ini (based on
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/plain/config/tex.ini) and
pdfcupplain.ini (based on
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/pdftex/plain/config/pdftex.ini)

- then running texconfig then texhash.

(I'm not quite sure all these steps are necessary.)

But now I don't know how to make TeXShop aware of the new format. I have
attempted using the new "Script" preference (typing in something like
"pdftex &pdfcupplain" or just "&pdfcupplain") then asking for "Tex", but
everything I get is a blank console window.

In addition, I would like to have both the "Pdftex" and "Tex and
Ghostscript" possibilities available for the new format.

Has anybody tried such devious things?

Thanks,

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.