[Mac OS X TeX] problems with including graphics

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Jul 10 05:11:18 CEST 2001

> I am having trouble including some illustrations that I created with
> Adobe Illustrator (8.0.1) in a LaTeX document that I am typesetting

Adobe Illustrator v8.* is well-known to be buggy...

> using TeXShop (1.11).  I exported the figures as PDF files and I'm using

... as is exporting as PDF from *any* version of Illustrator.

> the \includegraphics command to import them (as suggested in the TeXShop
> documentation).

The current folklore is to export from Illustrator as EPS,
then use some other tool (e.g. epstopdf , which requires Ghostscript,
or Acrobat/Distiller) to get the PDF version.

> If I preview the PDF files with acroread, they look fine.  But in the
> document, they are blank (as they are if I use Preview to look at them).
> And if I use acroread to view the file generated by TeXShop, I get the error
>
> 	Error while processing a form, type 3 font, or pattern.

> I also tried using pdflatex on a Unix machine with the same files
> and it works fine.  I can even transfer the resulting PDF file
> to my Mac and use Preview to look at it and the illustrations are
> okay.
>
> The other strangeness is that the problem only affects some of the
> figures, others are included without problem.
>
> Has anyone else seen a problem like this?

Such problems are well-known, especially on the PDFTeX list.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> 	- John

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.