[Mac OS X TeX] more pdftex woes

Michael Murray mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Tue Jul 17 13:52:17 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>>I have a large document that can be compiled using pdflatex on an ix86
>machine, but not under Darwin.  It runs fine right up to the end, when it
>perishes:
>
>  23 hyphenation exceptions out of 1000
>  36i,16n,41p,749b,621s stack positions out of 300i,100n,500p,50000b,4000s
></Users/lcp/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmsy5.pfb><
>Error: pdflatex
>Error: pdflatex
>Error: pdflatex
><repeat 1000 times>
>Segmentation fault
>
>I tried to identify the fault by bisection, without success.  Possibly the
>sheer size of the document is to blame?  But (195 pages, 881638 bytes) isn't
>that big.
>--
>Larry Paulson

I think its not the size so much as the amount of latex's internal memory
that is being used.   If you chop the document in the middle
does it run OK ?

If this is the problem the  suggestion that Ross Moore made to me
when I had a problem like this was to go through the file

TiBook:usr:local:teTeX:share:texmf:web2c:texmf.cnf

and each time you see something like

main_memory.context = 1500000
main_memory.mpost = 1000000
main_memory = 263000 % words of inimemory available; also applies to inimf&mp
extra_mem_top = 0    % extra high memory for chars, tokens, etc.
extra_mem_bot = 0    % extra low memory for boxes, glue, breakpoints, etc.

copy the context line and change context to pdflatex to get

main_memory.context = 1500000
main_memory.pdflatex = 1500000
main_memory.mpost = 1000000
main_memory = 263000 % words of inimemory available; also applies to inimf&mp
extra_mem_top = 0    % extra high memory for chars, tokens, etc.
extra_mem_bot = 0    % extra low memory for boxes, glue, breakpoints, etc.

There are quite a few of these.

After you have done this I am not sure if you might not need to run

texconfig init

to rebuild the formats.  On the other hand it might be that tetex
sets the parameters `on the fly'. Sorry I don't understand this bit.

Take all the above with care -- I am not a TeX or UNIX expert :-) !

Michael

Assoc/Prof Michael Murray
Department of Pure Mathematics       Fax: 61+ 8 8303
3696
University of Adelaide             Phone: 61+ 8 8303 4174
Australia  5005      Email: mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Home Page: http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray
PGP public key:
http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray/pgp.txt