[Mac OS X TeX] Re: OzTeX configs in TeXShop?

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Wed Dec 19 09:40:47 CET 2001

On Wednesday, December 19, 2001, at 08:37 , david craig wrote:

> You all told me a while ago that there was no way to tell tetex to
> search my OzTeX inputs file tree.

I guess you did not ask me...

> As it turns out, this is not so.  In fact, to do so is as trivial as one
> would expect it to be: make a symbolic link to said inputs in a place
> where tetex will look for it, namely, somewhere in ~/Library/texmf/tex/.
> (That was the key for me before: not knowing where to put it.  Asking
> the question without mentioning OzTeX ended up giving me the answer I
> needed [;->].)  The fact that tetex searches such folders recursively
> does all of the necessary dirty work.
>
> Much happier now.  Can play with TeXShop without screwing with a
> well-developed and perfectly functional existing tree.

Yes, but you still also search the teTeX texmf trees if something is not
found in the other tree. That can lead to strange results. If you want
to let teTeX search *only* your OzTeX tree you can do this by adapting
the file /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.macosx/texmf.cnf, which is the
file that contains any settings I override on the default teTeX
settings. You can change any directory settings there such that *only*
OzTeX is used.

BTW, If your extra tree is big, it pays to turn on TeX file search
hashing for ~/Library/texmf

This is as easy as moving to /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.macosx and
then apply the following patch and then run the texhash command:

*** texmf.cnf.org	Tue Nov 13 12:01:20 2001
--- texmf.cnf	Wed Dec 19 09:33:33 2001
***************
*** 12,16 ****
   % ls-R exclusively, which means that you have to run texhash
   % after you have added, moved or deleted files in the tree
! TEXMF={$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFOS,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

   % If you want to disable the HOME trees, use this:
   % ls-R exclusively, which means that you have to run texhash
   % after you have added, moved or deleted files in the tree
! TEXMF={!!$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFOS,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

   % If you want to disable the HOME trees, use this:

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.