[Mac OS X TeX] Re: TeX fonts and Illustrator 10

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Dec 26 22:24:33 CET 2001

> >Subject: Re: TeX fonts and Illustrator 10
> >From: "Jacques Distler" <distler at golem.ph.utexas.edu>
> >Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:49:06 -0600
> >
> >On Friday, December 21, 2001, "Alessio Guglielmi"
> ><Alessio.Guglielmi at Inf.TU-Dresden.DE> wrote:
> >
> >>  I know that there are problems in making Illustrator work with TeX
> >>  Type 1 fonts. I wasn't able to find a solution, though.
> >>
> >>  The problem is simply stated, I have working Type 1 Computer Modern
> >>  fonts installed in Mac OS X, they work everywhere else, but
> >  > Illustrator 10 is unable to import EPS files and show the fonts.
> >
> >  Turns out the solution is to download
> >
> >      <http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/fonts/TeX-Illustrator.sit>
> >
> >  and install the folder TeX-Illustrator as
> >
> >      "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts/TeX-Illustrator"
> >
> >  Illustrator then happily opens PDF files created by TeXShop, and one can
> >  manipulate the contents at will.
>
> Hi,
>
> thanks for answering, but, for some reason, it doesn't work for me.
> Still am not able to get a correct output: many glyphs are just wrong
> with PDF files, and I can't work at all with EPS files (fonts
> missing).
>
> Maybe I can just state my problem: I produce EPS files with dvips,
> and I want to get from them PICT files (to be used as a preview in
> Tom Kiffe's macdvi). I know how to do this with Photoshop, with
> raster previews, but I'd like to do the same with vector previews,
> and this is why I was considering Illustrator.

What you are asking is essentially impossible.
PICT does not have the provision to embed fonts within a graphic;
it can only link to fonts existing on the system.
So if you want to distribute your images, then you *must* rasterise
at some point.

However, the problem of missing glyphs, etc. in Illustrator
is just one of various font issues with Adobe software that
is well-known and has been of much concern to the TeX community.

> Ideas?

Next month there is to be a meeting between some of the TeX
"heavies" and Adobe font engineers, to try to get these problems
solved for future versions of Adobe software.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> -Alessio
> --
>
> Alessio Guglielmi, PhD
> Department of Computer Science - Dresden University of Technology
> Hans-Grundig-Str. 25                       fax +49 (351) 463 8342
> D-01062 Dresden - Germany
> <http://www.ki.inf.tu-dresden.de/~guglielm/>

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.