[Mac OS X TeX] Hack release: TEX -> PDF Service

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Sun Dec 16 02:11:26 CET 2001

Sorry about the breaking of netiquette here with the inclusion of
images. I hope I'm forgiven....

On Thursday, December 6, 2001, at 06:18 , William Adams wrote:

>>> What one wants is for TeXShop.app to provide a Service, ``TeX eq ->
>>> EPDF'', so that one could then, within OmniGraffle, type  the desired
>>> equation (say \magstep2$1+1=2$), select it, choose the Service and
>>> then
>>> get in situ the ``epdf''---that's how it works in NeXTstep, and I
>>> can't
>>> think of a more efficient fashion to get this sort of thing done....

This seemed like such a nice thing to do that I did it as a small
experiment.

The use of it seems limited though to environments where in the same
object text and pdf make sense. OmniGraflle is not such a thing. Nor is
Create. See the README that accompanies this hack.

But: in this Mail.app compose window (or any rich text object), this
works. I type $2\over3^x$, select it and call the service (Cmd-\), and
hopla:

[image removed because the mailing list blocks them]

Or when I type: \TeX\ is a wonderful app --- really, I get

[ditto]

Don't expect your LATeX commands to work, it is ConTeXt (which was
easier for this particular PDF image production). Please read the readme
before you contact me (or before you comment on the list thus also
contacting me). I am *considering* a more powerful Service, where you
can type
	foo:string
where foo instructs the service how to typeset the string (ConTeXt,
LATeX, whatever you setup yourself as this should be configurable).

Now where to find it:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/tex-gs/TeXServices.dmg.gz

Have fun,

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.