[Mac OS X TeX] TEX -> EPDF?

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Thu Dec 6 04:58:58 CET 2001

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 at 17:54, Nick Matsakis wrote:

   So, I'm curious whether anyone knows a good way to get a
   single TeX equation as a piece of embedded PDF?  I'm
   envisioning a package that works like this:

Yes, pdftricks.sty (available at CTAN) does this for you. pdftricks
is meant for using pstricks code in pdftex documents. Your source
should be modified in the following manner:

   \usepackage[shell]{pdftricks} % if you have shell escape enabled
or
   \usepackage[noshell]{pdftricks} % if you dont have shell escape

   \begin{psinputs}
   \include{allmywackytexmacros.tex}
   \end{psinputs}

   \begin{document}

   \begin{pdfpic}
   \[ 1+1 = 2 \]
   \end{pdfpic}

   \begin{pdfpic}
   \[ A = \pi \cdot r^2\]
   \end{pdfpic}

   \end{document}

If you have shell escape facility enabled, single run of pdflatex
will result in as many number of small pdf's as you expected. If you
dont have shell escape, you need to run the pst2pdf shell script at
the end of the pdflatex job which will do the job of making
different pdf's.

   Running pdftex on the output would create two files in the
   directory, exp1.pdf and exp2.pdf, each containing the
   appropriate equations.  Does this make sense?  This would be
   useful because the resulting files could be dragged into
   Omnigraffle or Powerpoint X, allowing one to have nicely
   typeset equations in posters and presentations.

But why should you go for this round about way of making a
presentation while pdfTeX itself could be used to make
presentations. Pdfscreen.sty coupled with TeXpower or PPower4 helps
you to make presentations that has page transition effects,
incremental builds etc.

--
Radhakrishnan

"help" (no quotes) in the body.