[Mac OS X TeX] Re: TeX fonts and Illustrator 10

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Mon Dec 31 14:44:29 CET 2001

> So, if I also want to see my figures (and I want) when composing the
> paper, I need a preview attached to them, which I guess must be a PICT.

There are a couple of nice Classic utilities for working with PS and EPS
files, and in particular for creating previews:

PS2EPS+
http://www.lerup.com/ps2eps.shtml

It's free and worked very well for me in the past (at a time when I was
creating Mathematica curves on a Linux box and writing papers including
them with Textures on a PowerBook). It's based on GhostScript 2.3, so it
might not work with recent PostScript files. I've had it on all my
successive Macintosh's for more than five years now, I don't think it
ever crashed any of them. For very wiggly curves (plots of something
asymptotic to Sqrt[x] Sin[1/x] as x -> 0), it couldn't create previews.

EPS•Factory™
http://www.artage.com

It's one of several shareware PS/EPS conversion tools available at this
URL. Creates previews, and fixes bounding boxes. There's also EPStoPICT
(the name says it all). Very nice interface, seems to work though I
never used it extensively. With documentation explaining PS <->
Quickdraw conversion issues. GraphicConverter has a setting for using
either GhostScript or EPStoPICT when dealing with EPS files.

However, I agree with the view than working with EPS instead of PDF is
fighting against the tide somehow.

Happy New Year to you all,

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.