[Mac OS X TeX] Bibliography management

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Thu Aug 16 18:05:29 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>On 08/13/2001 at 7:37 PM +0200, Sam Broderick wrote:

>Anybody have input on managing a bibliography? There are several instances
>where I do not prefer TeX, but I want to be able to create bibliographies
>for other programs as well (e.g. Word and FrameMaker). Can EndNote export in
>BibTex format? Is there an alternative? I've done some preliminary work on a
>FileMaker solution (incl. links to PDF's), but it's an awful lot of work...

EndNote is a wonderful tool for managing bibliographic databases and
version 5 allows one to connect to Web of Science for searches
(Version 4 allowed connections to many places, but not Web of
Science). The process is very nice -- you connect to WOS, search for
whatever you like and the reference information is automatically
entered into your EndNote database -- you don't have to type in a
thing. In fact, it is one of the few remaining reasons that I run
Classic.

Yes, EndNote does a very nice job of exporting to BibTeX format. I
have used it's BibTeX export for years.

I would like to add that I made a plea to ISI Researchsoft, the
makers of EndNote, for a Mac OS X version and they said they are
assessing their options on whether to develop a version for Mac OS X.
If you are interested in an OS X version of EndNote, please send an
e-mail to their president, Dave Kochalko, at:

<mailto:dave at risinc.com>

and politely ask for them to consider EndNote for OS X. It has been
my experience that numbers make a difference in a situation like this.

Best regards,
--
    Gary L. Gray
    Associate Professor