[Mac OS X TeX] Mac PS fonts into TeXShop/teTeX/PDFTeX?

Will Douglas will at sattvajala.org
Mon Aug 6 16:54:16 CEST 2001

Hallo.

While I once configured a much earlier (0.4) version of teTeX/gs/xdvi to
use the local postscript families (Bembo, Optima, Courier), I am somewhat
confused by the hybrid beast that is OSX. I have successfully frustrated
myself, and would greatly appreciate someone repeating what will, of
course, be completely obvious once I do it right... Among other things I
have never used pdfTeX before.

I have already downloaded the usual Bembo, etc. files from CTAN and
installed them in the local tree and confirmed with kpsewhich that they
can be found.

How, then, do I get teTeX and TeXShop to use an Adobe postscript font
family for which I have the Mac files and AFMs? If I understand
correctly, my problem is that I do not know how to tell PDFTeX to use the
Type 1 files, rather than trying to create pk's; and possibly that I
similarly haven't figured out how to tell dvips the same thing. Efforts
at modifying psfonts.map have so far not had any useful outcome, and the
indirect font maintenance scheme updmap is more than mildly byzantine. A
third possible problem is that I may have to create pfbs (?) for teTeX's
pdfTeX to successfuly read and use them.

Yes, well, I hope my sense of confusion is familiar. All pointers
appreciated. The old docs on dvips and so forth no longer seem very helpful.

-W.

Will Douglas
for contact info see <http://www.sattvajala.org/people/wbd/contact.html>
<will at sattvajala.org>