[lucida] Lucida & Unicode — lualatex/OTF/UTF-8

Calum Mackay calum.mackay at cdmnet.org
Tue Jan 22 21:16:35 CET 2019

hi all,

without intending to swamp the list with questions, and unrelated to my
other note: what do people do when using these fonts with Unicode
characters?

I tend to insert various Unicode chars into my (source) docs, and I find
these aren't included in Lucida Bright OT, when converting my docs from
Libertinus Serif.

e.g. from a recent doc, I was using ⅙, ℃ & ℉. Interestingly, I note that
\textcelsius doesn't display either, but \textdegree does, which could
then be followed by C/F.

What do others do?

I'm aware of Lucida Grande having some Unicode chars and, indeed, have
it on my Mac as a system font. But it's not part of the TUG Lucida set,
and it's a sans font.

Currently I'm doing:

	\newfontface\myunicodefont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{Libertinus Serif}
	% we want this command to be “long”,
	% i.e. to be able to span paragraphs
	\newcommand\myunicode[1]{{\myunicodefont #1}}

and then etc:

	\myunicode{⅙}

but that's clunky.

Is there a way to tell LuaLaTeX to fall-back to a given font, if a char
isn't available in the currently-selected font?

Or a better way entirely (other than simply not using the Lucida fonts)?

There may be clever ways to achieve the above examples without using
Unicode, but they were just a few examples from many: I often insert the
odd Unicode char, surely that's the one of the benefits of using a UTF-8
input method?

thanks very much for any comments.

best regards,
calum.