[lucida] Installation Lucida in Texmaker

Bruno Voisin bgvoisin at orange.fr
Sat Dec 21 09:56:28 CET 2019

> Le 21 déc. 2019 à 01:21, Axel E. Retif <axel.retif at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Which set did you buy, OpenType or Type 1? I bought Lucida many years ago, so I only have the Type 1.
>
> Can you tell us, please, which OS do you use, Linux, Mac, Windows?
>
> How did you install the fonts and where?

Without the answers to these questions, as Axel pointed out, it’s difficult to help you.

I’m not sure in which form the fonts are shipped. Most likely, it’s an archive lucidaot1-tex.zip containing both the Type 1 and OpenType versions of the fonts, with the fonts themselves and all their TeX support files arranged according to the TDS (TeX Directory Structure).

In that event, you just have to merge the content of the archive, exactly as it is, into the relevant texmf tree. On Unix this may be done on the command line with an invocation of gzip or pkzip (I don’t remember how exactly). On the Mac it must be done by hand. On Windows I have no idea.

But first you must determine which texmf tree to use. Two are possible:

- TEXMFLOCAL if you plan to install the fonts system-wide, so they are available to all the accounts on your computer,

- TEXMFHOME if you plan to install the fonts for your account only.

Running "tlmgr conf" will tell you exactly what these are. Or "kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL" and "kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFHOME". On the Mac it’s

	TEXMFLOCAL = /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local = /Library/TeX/Local
	TEXMFHOME = ~/Library/texmf

on Unix it should be something like

	TEXMFLOCAL = /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
	TEXMFHOME = ~/texmf

If you install the fonts system-wide, in TEXMFLOCAL, you must run in addition

	sudo mktexlsr

to update the TeX Live file catalog to include the newly added files.

Then you also have to run

	sudo updmap-sys lucida.map

for a system-wide installation, or

	updmap lucida.map

for an account-specific installation. This will provide TeX with all the information required to use the Type 1 fonts.

You may also run

	luaotfload-tool —update

to construct all the information LuaTeX need to use the OpenType fonts. But it’s not strictly necessary: the first time a Lucida OpenType font is called, LuaTeX will do that on-the-fly (it may take a couple of seconds though, during which there will be no output to the console).

Finally, when everything is installed and works, there’s a recent CTAN package that may make using the OpenType fonts easier. It’s lucida-otf, available at

https://ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/lucida-otf
https://ctan.org/pkg/lucida-otf

It can be installed directly with tlmgr, something like "tlmgr install lucida-otf", but I’m not familiar with using tlmgr and cannot remember right now which option to use to specify to install the package system-wide or account-specific.

And even more finally: there are always the online installation instructions. The OpenType instructions are at

	http://www.tug.org/store/lucida/README-opentype/
	http://www.tug.org/store/lucida/README-opentype/INSTALL-TeX.txt

(the second URL being for the use of the fonts with TeX), and the Type 1 instructions are at

	http://www.tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin