[lucida] kerning table

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Tue Mar 27 07:49:16 CEST 2018

> Le 27 mars 2018 à 00:43, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> a écrit :
>
> maybe I should just put up lucdkern.zip and forget my
> worries.

My aim in posting lucdkern.zip was to avoid people wasting time re-doing work that's already been done, if the kern pairs dealt by Y&Y and the kern lists evoked by the original posters are indeed the same thing.

But as I said, kerning exceeds my font knowledge. And, as far as I remember, during the brief time that I used these metrics, I did not notice any aesthetic difference compared with documents produced with the standard metrics, while on the other hand I did notice significant differences in line breaks etc. between the Y&Y standard LY1 metrics and the fontinst-produced T1 and OT1 metrics.

Also, I don't remember exactly what was said on the Y&Y site about these metrics (lucdkern.zip), but I do remember they were said to be experimental and never went beyond that stage. Whether their not reaching release status is quality-related (ie, because they weren't good enough), or schedule-related (ie, because of Y&Y's demise), or based on any other consideration (like Y&Y realized this wasn't such a good idea after all), is unclear.

Bruno