[lucida] Question about lucida-otf.sty

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sun Nov 5 13:26:28 CET 2017

> Le 4 nov. 2017 à 22:17, John H Lienhard <lienhard at mit.edu> a écrit :
>
> While running Lucida OTF [system] fonts under LuaLaTeX, I’ve noticed that various ‘legacy maths alphabets’ are not loading (Latin Modern is produced) and that the math operators font hits a glitch. I don't these issues with other OTF math fonts, and I believe they are specific to lucida-otf.sty
>
> A working example is below. The packages I’m using should all be current versions (at bottom).
>
> These issues can be resolved by uncommenting the \set… commands noted — or by removing “version=normal” from lucida-otf.sty.  I’m not sure whether the issue is local to my system or more general?

Same issues here, macOS 10.13.1, MacTeX 2017 (with included TeX Live updated today using TeX Live Utility), using both XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX.

So this sounds like an incompatibility between unicode-math (updated very recently) and lucida-otf. I can't say more, as I'm not using lucida-otf myself: I'm using direct calls to fontspec and unicode-math, based on the examples in lucidaot.tex and lucidaot-sys-example.tex from the Lucida OpenType distro.

By the way, using \textrm etc. directly in maths, that is

Compare text font faces to those in text, legacy commands:
$$\textrm{\Sphinx}   \quad   \text{{\Sphinx}}$$
$$\textsf{\Sphinx}   \quad   \text{\textsf{\Sphinx}}$$
$$\texttt{\Sphinx}    \quad   \text{\texttt{\Sphinx}}$$
$$\textbf{\Sphinx}   \quad   \text{\textbf{\Sphinx}}$$
$$\textit{\Sphinx}    \quad   \text{\itshape{\Sphinx}}$$
$$\textbf{\textit{\Sphinx}} \quad   \text{\bfseries\itshape{\Sphinx}}$$

does work with fontspec and unicode-math, and gives what you expected. I don't know why it works (I didn't double-check, but I think the LaTeX manuals only mention \mathrm etc. in maths), but it does.

Bruno Voisin