[lucida] Lucida installation problem

David Saunders david at symplectic.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 4 13:35:10 CEST 2017

On 04/08/17 10:58, Axel E. Retif wrote:
> On 08/04/2017 04:15 AM, David Saunders wrote:
>

>> OK, I see. I've tried putting TeX Live at the begining of PATH
>
> For the $PATH to take effect, you have to reboot or at least log out
> and log back in.

Yes, I did that, but still no joy.

> See also that in the site I previously mentioned
>
>     https://www.tug.org/texlive/debian.html
>
> Norbert advises to set the PATH in /etc/login.defs, instead of
> /etc/environment, as I suggested. I will do that next time I update
> Ubuntu (to 18.04).

I'll try that this afternoon.

>> Here's a strange thing. On the old laptop I was using as a testbed, I
>> still get the error from pdftex testfont -- but TeXworks happily
>> compiles lucida-sample.tex, and also all of my Lucida TeX files. I
>> could live with that.
>
> I don't use TeXworks, but what I guess is happening is that TeXworks
> comes preconfigured to use the usual path of the repository-installed
> TeXLive. If you look into TeXworks preferences, you might find
> somewhere such paths.

In fact the TeXworks paths are the same on both machines (and neither
includes the path to x86_64-linux).

I've looked at the directory structures on the two machines, and they're
rather different:

Old machine (TeXworks works with Lucida):

/usr/local
  ../share
   ../../texmf
   ../../../ <Lucida files>

/usr/share/
   ../tex4ht
   ../tex-common
   ../texinfo
   ../texlive
   ../../debian
   ../../.....
   ../texmf

New machine (TeXworks doesn't work with Lucida):

/usr/local
   ../share
   ../../texmf
   ../../../ <Lucida files>
   ../texlive
   ../../2017
   ../../texmf-local

/usr/share
   ../tex-common
   ../texlive
   ../../debian
   ../texmf
   ../texworks-help

So the Lucida files are in the same place on both machines, but the new
machine has texlive/2017 and texlive/texmflocal, missing on the old
machine. On both machines TEXMFLOCAL gives /usr/local/share/texmf, so
that's where I put the Lucida files.

Does that help to explain the problem, and to suggest a solution?

Best wishes

David