[lucida] Instructions on updmap-sys (Type 1)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Fri Jun 24 17:07:56 CEST 2016

> De: Paulo Roberto Massa Cereda
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg unchanged.  Map files not recreated.
>
>> Did you try "Map=lucida.map" instead of "Map lucida.map"? This
>> shouldn't matter, but you never know.
>
> Aha, that is spot on! The very same command with Map=lucida.map does work this time! It looks it matters after all, at least on my system. :)

There may be another explanation:

> /usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg unchanged.  Map files not recreated.

is the kind of answer you get when you install a new lucida.map, to replace an old one, and try to activate it. In this case, updmap sees there was a lucida.map referenced in updmap.cfg beforehand already, so that updmap.cfg is not changed; hence it thinks you didn't actually want to enable a new map file, and stops at that point.

What you usually do to get out that situation is first

sudo /opt/texbin/updmap-sys --disable lucida.map

so that any reference to the previous lucida.map is removed from updmap.cfg (and psfonts.map etc. are recreated from scratch), then

sudo /opt/texbin/updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

to add the new lucida.map to updmap.cfg. As a result, updmap notices updmap.cfg has changed an recreates psfonts.map etc. with the data from the new lucida.map.

It may be that in your case the experiments you did modified updmap.cfg, causing "updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map" to work not because of the added "=" but because of the previous modifications to updmap.cfg.

Or it may be that perl on your Linux requires the "=". My setup is Mac, and on it the "=" is optional.

In any case, if the first explanation is correct, then this also explains why MixedMap worked: using MixedMap instead of Map caused updmap.cfg to change, allowing updmap to proceed instead of stopping.

Bruno