[lucida] problem on installing lucida font

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Fri Jul 17 15:41:20 CEST 2015

> On 16 Jul 2015, at 21:03, Feng Zhang <prod.feng at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> OK, I used the commands found on the email list:
>
>> sudo texhash
>
>> sudo updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --syncwithtrees
>
>> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map
>
> Which solved my problem.

This used to be the way to do things several years back. Since then, updmap(-sys) has been rewritten practically from scratch and is much more efficient (and faster, too).

Hence, although the above still works, the recommended way to go is different:

- Create a file updmap.cfg containing the line

	Map lucida.map

(and similar for all the other map files you may have enabled in the past).

- If you installed the fonts in your user space inside ~/Library/texmf, then put updmap.cfg inside ~/Library/texmf/web2c (creating the folder if it doesn't exist) and run

	updmap

- If you installed the fonts for system-wide use inside /Library/TeX/Local (aka /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local), then put updmap.cfg inside /Library/TeX/Local/web2c and run

	sudo mktexlsr
	sudo updmap-sys

(mktexlsr is the new name of texhash).

Be careful if you have installed the fonts in your user space then run the above commands with updmap-sys: this means a system-wide config file references fonts accessible to one user only (not a problem if you're the only user), and also that this config file will be ignored if at some point in the future you run updmap (without sudo and -sys) which will create user-specific config files inside ~/Library/texmf.

The best way, if you decide to change, would be to run first

	sudo updmap-sys --disable lucida.map

then proceed as recommended above.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin

PS The above assumes you've a relatively recent MacTeX (I would say >= 2013, but I'm not sure). I notice your TeXShop is a bit old (3.52 is the current version); so if your MacTeX is old too (< 2013), then please ignore the above.