[lucida] Best header definitions?

Robert Almgren almgren at cims.nyu.edu
Tue Dec 29 22:44:58 CET 2015

I write math documents using the Lucida fonts purchased from TUG. About a year and ahalf ago, Karl Berry and Bruno Voisin gave me some very helpful advice (thanks, guys!) on header definitions to make full use of them. It has always seemed to me that these definitions are more complicated than they need to be, and I wonder if there would be a simpler way to do it? Or is there a standard header file that would do it?

My ArticleLucida template file is attached, and I excerpt the main definitions below. I am using a Mac with the TeXLive 2015 distribution and TeXshop front end. I use Xelatex as the engine. Latest versions of all packages as per tlmgr.

Many thanks for any help or advice!
                                           --Robert Almgren

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\usepackage{amsmath}

\usepackage{fontspec}      % support opentype text fonts
\usepackage{unicode-math}  % support opentype math fonts

\defaultfontfeatures{Ligatures=TeX}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%
\setmainfont[
      ItalicFont=LucidaBrightOT-Italic.otf,
        BoldFont=LucidaBrightOT-Demi.otf,
  BoldItalicFont=LucidaBrightOT-DemiItalic.otf,
  ]{LucidaBrightOT.otf}
\setsansfont[
      ItalicFont=LucidaSansOT-Italic.otf,
        BoldFont=LucidaSansOT-Demi.otf,
  BoldItalicFont=LucidaSansOT-DemiItalic.otf,
  ]{LucidaSansOT.otf}
\setmonofont[
      ItalicFont=LucidaSansTypewriterOT-Oblique.otf,
        BoldFont=LucidaSansTypewriterOT-Bold.otf,
  BoldItalicFont=LucidaSansTypewriterOT-BoldOblique.otf,
  ]{LucidaSansTypewriterOT.otf}

\setmathfont{LucidaBrightMathOT.otf}
\newfontface\LucidaBlackletter{LucidaBlackletterOT.otf}
\newfontface\LucidaCalligraphy{LucidaCalligraphyOT.otf}
\newfontface\LucidaHandwriting{LucidaHandwritingOT.otf}

--
Fellow, NYU Courant Institute Mathematics in Finance Program