[lucida] alle jahre wieder --- suggestions to improve http://tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Jul 25 00:09:03 CEST 2013

On 2013-07-23 at 18:42:37 -0700, ivo welch wrote:

 > I tried updmap-sys.  this didn't do it, either.  indeed, it gives me
 > nice info---lots of it.  perhaps too much.  :-).

It doesn't provide too much info.  The file is so large because there
are so many fonts. :)

Updmap concatenates all .map files on your system, provided by
individual font packages.  In order to detect duplicates (more than
one font with the same TFM name) it sorts all lines alphabetically.
After sorting there is no way to find out from which package a
particular entry originates.

The log file is written when files are read and before entries are
sorted.  It first prints the name of the .map file being processed
with its full path and then lists the first item of each line, which
is the TFM name.  Now you can easily find out which font package is
the culprit if something goes wrong.

In your case it might be helpful in order to determine whether a
particular font package is processed at all.  You could search for
"lucida.map", for instance.

BTW, train schedules provide too much information as well.  Treat the
log file like a train schedule: search for what you need and ignore
the rest. :)

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25